Hot Wheels has been keeping up with car culture since 1968. Car culture in the automotive world has its trends and its niches but it is not nearly as trendy as the focus of today’s youth–whom these cars are, and should be, designed for. So what happens when the aforementioned toy brand tries to focus on what they feel is the “focus of today’s youth”?
From 2003 to 2005, the Hot Wheels mainline had seen some interesting additions. It started with the ‘Tooned cars then we saw the addition of the Blings, Hardnoze, Crooze, Fatbax, Torpedoes, Drop Tops & X-Raycers. Most of these style of cars had been reduced to Multi-Packs or Playsets since they didn’t sell on their own. They even, in some cases, were never release again. Out of all these styles, the most successful were the X-Raycers to which of whom are still being released today.
The X-Raycers are plastic-bodied cars that are translucent in color so you can see the “guts” of the car including the car’s engine & interior. The Scion xB was the first Scion car to be represented in a Hot Wheels line. Its inclusion in the #X-Raycers as a slightly ‘Tooned version was a little curious as the brand’s first Hot Wheels representation, but this big kid fell in love with its “chopped top”, boxy-shape and the fact that you could see its engine through the hood. The bright blue color of the Kmart exclusive caught my eye and prompted me to start collecting this casting.
Over the last 10 years, the Scion xB has been released several times. Look for this casting in the Color Shifters line available at retail now. If you are interested in collecting this casting, see the list below.
List of the Hot Wheels Scion xB:
- Translucent Red w/ PR5 Wheels (2005 First Editions – X-Raycers)
- Translucent Red w/ FTE Wheels (2005 First Editions – X-Raycers)
- Translucent Blue (2005 First Editions – X-Raycers “Kmart Exclusive”)
- Translucent Smoke (2006 X-Raycers 5-Pack)
- Translucent Blue (2008 Mystery Cars)
- Translucent Green (2010 Race World Earth Series
- Yellow to Dark Red (2011 Color Shifters)
- Translucent Purple (2012 HW Code Cars)
- Orange (2013 Multi-Pack Exclusive)
- Lime Green to Orange (2014 Color Shifters)
- Translucent Yellow (2015 HW Race X-Raycers Series)
- Pale Yellow to Dark Green (2015 Color Shifters)